SYSTEMS AND NETWORK ADMINISTRATORSystems and Network Administrator
Salary target is ~90-100k
Fully Remote / Work from home
• Experience administering Microsoft Windows servers and associated services (Active Directory, Exchange, Sharepoint, Office 365, etc.)
• Network administration experience
• Combined macOS and/or gnu/Linux support or administration experience
• Functional knowledge of PC (server) hardware, IoT devices, and electronics
• Experience with OS virtualization on VMWare
• Adept at systems administration fundamentals: managing services, updating software, maintaining availability, backing up data, optimizing performance, etc.
• Proven ability to automate fundamental sysadmin tasks and avoid repetitive toil
• Experience defining, implementing, and testing Disaster Recovery plans, especially for Windows and associated Microsoft services
• Basic understanding of cloud computing services and ability to administer Microsoft services running in an Azure environment
• Strong working knowledge of IP, TCP, UDP, and higher-level network protocols
• Ability to configure routers, firewalls, managed switches, VPNs, and other network devices
• Incisive analytical and troubleshooting skills across a broad range of platforms and devices
• Familiarity with current products & best practices, with the curiosity to stay that way
• Diligent about writing and maintaining documentation and tracking work in issues
• Ability to communicate technical concepts among technical and nontechnical audiences
• Extensive experience with VMWare and/or Nutanix virtualization platforms
• Experience or certification with cloud services: Azure, GCP, or AWS
• Understanding of software development practices and process
The Business Systems & Networks Administrator coordinates the smooth operation of business systems that are essential to delivering content and services to our global community.
This role collaborates with internal stakeholders to maintain our business computing systems, including Windows and gnu/Linux servers, Active Directory, Office 365 and Azure, and the commodity network and telephony gear that links our offices to each other and the cloud.
With primary responsibility for maintaining service levels and continuity of essential business systems, this role requires participation in an on-call rotation and may occasionally demand working odd hours, weekends, and holidays.
• Maintain appropriate service levels for office systems, including Windows and gnu/Linux servers, networking/ telecommunications, cloud services, other digital devices/services
• Collaborate across the team and organization to ensure business continuity for essential services and equipment, designing, implementing, and testing disaster recovery plans
• Automate system maintenance tasks and other processes to avoid repetitive toil
• Escalate service issues as appropriate, coordinating internal stakeholders and engaging vendors, service providers, and external stakeholders as needed
• Troubleshoot, diagnose, and coordinate resolution of TCP/IP networking issues, including VPN links, routing diagnostics, Wi-Fi networks, and bandwidth allocation/management
• Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve operating system and software service issues on Windows and gnu/Linux servers
• Inform appropriate stakeholders of outages or breaches and mitigation status, and coordinate incident response to achieve expedient resolution
• Coordinate with management and stakeholders to design office systems and select vendors that optimize service continuity/delivery with cost
• Contribute to management of Active Directory, Office 365, Atlassian and G Suite data
• Serve as an escalation resource for gnu/Linux, macOS and Windows desktop support issues
• Collaborate across the Platforms & Engineering team to ensure the safety and security of our staff, collaborators, systems, and data
We are a small, passionate, cross-functional team, bringing together software, reliability, and testing engineers to build the software and systems that power our publishing platform.
We embrace and contribute to free and open-source software, and we make time for personal projects, hackathons, and other social events, as we build and maintain everything from publishing systems to data pipelines to innovative new products.
Increasingly distributed, we maintain highly collaborative relationships and coordinate our efforts through agile methodologies and modern engineering practices. Deeply pragmatic in our approach to engineering, our culture also values diversity, agility, and experimentation, and we genuinely endeavor to live up to our values.
Company / Benefits
• Non-profit Research Publishing Organization established in 2001
• ~150 Employees
• Matched 401k (up to 5%)
• Medical Coverage
• 15 days PTO
• 10 Sick Days
• 2 Volunteer Days
• Tuition / professional development support
• Student debt repayment help
• Life insurance, STD & LTD cover
• Wellness programs and support for staff
• Rocket Lawyer (legal services)
Click here to send us your resume